“Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle” – Plato
Appearances can be deceptive. What looks glossy on the outside might be very different when you take a closer look.
Social media has got to be a prime example of this. Someone’s newsfeed is a highlights reel of their life but maybe not the truest reflection. You might be like me – posting pictures of the magical moments with your kiddiwinks when everyone is fed, happy and absorbed in play…. You’ll find the meltdowns and dinner-time battles on the virtual-cutting-room floor!
Just think for a moment: maybe your life looks picture perfect to someone else?
How does that make you feel? If you’re content and at a point of bliss, you’re likely to feel proud and grateful. Positive.
If, on the other hand, you know that what your life looks like isn’t true of what it feels like, then you may feel a bit of discomfort. Guilty? A bit of a fraud?
Life can look good but you might still be craving something more. And that’s ok. It’s just a whisper from your intuition that is nudging you to explore it. It’s like an itch you need to scratch.
You can have what many people desire and still want more. Not in a greedy way, but in a way that means a part of you is looking to express itself, or to be more fulfilled in some way.
Feeling guilty about that or trying to ignore it isn’t the answer. It’s there and it’s simply a message to do something about it.
So, how can you dig a little deeper and find out what that niggle is?
There’s no simple answer as it can take some exploration but, on some level, you already know the answer. Here’s a few suggestions to help you listen in to that whisper:
- Be quiet: Spend time in silence. We’re so busy doing that often we lose connection to who we are being. By slowing down you’re allowing the time and space to tune into yourself, your inner knowing. Try guided meditation, or mindfulness or simply listening to some relaxing music with your attention on your breathing.
- Free-flow: Flow of consciousness writing is a great way to connect to your intuition. Grab a journal, a pen and some quiet space and just allow your pen to write whatever comes to mind. No censoring just let it come out. Don’t be tempted to second-guess or correct what you write, or even to question if it makes sense, just keep going. Let it be an outlet for any of the thoughts in your head or any of the emotions you may be feeling. Once you clear past the clutter you’ll then find that you get deeper-level insights. By doing this regularly, you’ll get into the practice of connecting with your true self and you’ll be surprised at the insights you’ll get from this.
- Get support: Like a blind spot when you’re driving, sometimes you just can’t see it yourself. You may need someone to ask you the right questions to get to the answers that are already there. Your thought patterns and beliefs are hard-wired and there to protect you. Often a niggle can be a need for something to change so your brain goes into protection mode. By having someone else guide you, you get a different perspective and can ‘see round’ old patterns of being and behaving that have kept you stuck.
- Follow your yes: Any opportunity that comes your way, say yes (well, within reason!). Don’t think and question – if it feels right, go for it. Experiment, play, have fun. Follow your bliss
- Accept the help: I created the FREE Clarity Session workshop to help feelings just like this. If you haven’t yet accessed this mini workshop I gifted to you, you can access it here.
I’d love to hear from you. Share your behind-the-scenes story, the more ironic/funny, the better. When have you posted a photo on social media when things weren’t quite so rosy in reality?